What you'll get

Universal Credit is paid monthly. How much you get depends on:

  • your standard allowance
  • any extra amounts that apply to you
  • any money taken off your payment
  • if you’re working, how much you earn

See how much you could get by using a benefits calculator.

Standard allowance

You’ll get one standard allowance for your household.

How much you’ll get Monthly standard allowance
If you’re single and under 25 £311.68
If you’re single and 25 or over £393.45
If you live with your partner and you’re both under 25 £489.23 (for you both)
If you live with your partner and either of you are 25 or over £617.60 (for you both)

Extra amounts

You may get more money on top of your standard allowance if you’re eligible.

If you have children

You could get an extra amount for your children if they live with you. You would get the extra amount until the 31 August after their:

  • 16th birthday
  • 19th birthday, if they’re in eligible education or training – for example, they’re studying for GCSEs, A levels, BTECs, Scottish Highers and SVQs or NVQs up to level 3

You’ll only get an extra amount for your first and second child. You will not get an extra amount for any more children unless:

  • your children were born before 6 April 2017
  • you were already claiming for 3 or more children before 6 April 2017
  • other exceptions apply
How much you’ll get Extra monthly amount
For your first child £333.33 (born before 6 April 2017)
£287.92 (born on or after 6 April 2017)
For your second child and any other eligible children £287.92 per child

You’ll also get an extra amount if any of your children are disabled. You’re eligible for this extra amount no matter how many children you have.

You’ll get:

  • £156.11 if your child is disabled
  • £487.58 if your child is severely disabled

Childcare costs

You can claim back up to 85% of your childcare costs if you’re working. If you live with your partner both of you need to be working, unless one of you is unable to work due to a disability or health condition.

The childcare needs to be from a registered provider. You can get help paying for childcare including nurseries, childminders, breakfast clubs, after school care and holiday clubs.

The most you can get each month is:

  • £1,014.63 for one child

  • £1,739.37 for 2 or more children

You need to pay your childcare costs up front and claim the money back as part of your payment. You can get support to help you pay your childcare costs up front. Talk to your work coach after you’ve made your claim.

Read more about childcare costs and Universal Credit.

If you have a disability or health condition

How much you’ll get Extra monthly amount
If you have limited capability for work and work-related activity £416.19
If you have limited capability for work and you started your health-related Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claim before 3 April 2017 £156.11

If you live with your partner and you both have limited capability for work and work-related activity, you’ll only get one extra monthly amount.

If you get the severe disability premium and you’re moving to Universal Credit, you might also be entitled to a ‘transitional protection’ payment.

Read more about health conditions, disability and Universal Credit.

You could get an extra amount if you care for someone who gets one of the following benefits:

You need to provide care for them for at least 35 hours a week.

You’ll get an extra monthly amount of £198.31.

This is on top of any extra amount you get if you have a disabled child.

Housing costs

You could get money to help pay your housing costs. The payment can cover rent and some service charges.

If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get a loan to help with interest payments on your mortgage.

Money taken off your payment

Your payments might be reduced if any of the following apply:

  • you are paying back an advance on a Universal Credit payment

  • you would get above the amount limited by the benefit cap

  • you’ve been overpaid benefits in the past

  • you owe money for Council Tax, court fines, electricity, gas, water or Child Maintenance

  • you pay your gas or electricity bill directly from your Universal Credit payment

  • you have a paid job

  • you have other income – for example, money from pensions or certain other benefits

  • you have more than £6,000 in money, savings and investments

If you have over £6,000 in money, savings and investments, your payment will be reduced by £4.35 for every £250 you have between £6,000 and £16,000. Another £4.35 is taken off for any remaining amount that is not a complete £250.

Find out more about money taken off your Universal Credit payment.

Benefits that affect how much Universal Credit you get

You can get Universal Credit at the same time as other benefits. Your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by an amount equal to the other benefit’s payment. This applies when you get Universal Credit and any of the following benefits:

  • Armed Forces Pensions
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Carer Support Payment (Scotland)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (excluding any increases where constant attendance is needed and for exceptionally severe disablement)
  • Maternity Allowance
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance
  • New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • State Pension
  • Widowed Mother’s Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Moving to Universal Credit from other benefits

If you’ve applied for Universal Credit, you’ll keep getting your current benefit paid for 2 more weeks. You must still be eligible for your current benefit.

This only applies if you’re getting:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Housing Benefit

You will not need to pay back the extra payments and they will not affect the Universal Credit you might get.

If you’ve received a Migration Notice letter telling you to claim Universal Credit, you might also get a ‘transitional protection’ payment.

Other support you could get

If you receive Universal Credit you may also be able to get other financial support depending on your circumstances.

If your Universal Credit claim is reviewed

Your claim might be reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right payment and support. Find out more about Universal Credit reviews.