How it works

You could get £81.90 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person you care for get. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg) and in an easy read format.

How you’re paid

You can choose to be paid weekly in advance or every 4 weeks.

It will be paid into an account, for example your bank account.

What else you can get

For each week you get Carer’s Allowance you’ll automatically get National Insurance credits.

You may also be able to apply for:

If you live in Scotland

If you live in Scotland and get Carer’s Allowance, you may also get Carer’s Allowance Supplement.

If you live in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross or the Western Isles, you need to apply for Carer Support Payment instead of Carer’s Allowance.

If you currently get Carer’s Allowance

You’ll be automatically moved to Carer Support Payment by spring 2025.

When the move begins, you’ll get letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Social Security Scotland.

Find out more about the change from Carer’s Allowance to Carer Support Payment.

If you move from Scotland to England or Wales

If you get Carer Support Payment, you must:

Your Carer Support Payment will stop 13 weeks after you move. Make a new claim for Carer’s Allowance as soon as you arrive in England or Wales. If you delay your payments could be affected.