Apply to your council to get money off your Council Tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits.

Council Tax Reduction has replaced Council Tax Benefit, which stopped on 1 April 2013.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you’ll get

You can get up to 100% reduction, depending on:

  • where you live
  • your circumstances (eg income, number of children)
  • your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Council Tax Reduction only applies in England, Wales and Scotland - there are different schemes in Northern Ireland.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.