Make a claim
Before you apply make sure you have your:
- National Insurance number (if you have a partner you’ll need theirs too)
- bank or building society details (unless you get your State Pension)
- employment details and latest payslip if you’re working
- P45 if you’ve recently finished work
- course details if you’re studying
- details of any expenses, for example pension contributions or the cost of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work
You also need details of the person you care for. You need their:
- date of birth and address
- National Insurance number if they’re 16 or over
- Disability Living Allowance reference if they’re under 16
You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months.
If you live in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross or the Western Isles, you need to apply for Carer Support Payment instead of Carer’s Allowance.
Other ways to apply
If you cannot apply online, you can apply by post or call the Carer’s Allowance Unit to request a form.
Telephone: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges
Carers Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
Get help and advice
You can get independent help and advice from:
If you disagree with a decision
You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.