4. Make a claim
You will need
Before you apply make sure you have your:
- National Insurance number (if you have a partner you’ll need theirs too)
- bank or building society details
- employment details and latest payslip if you’re working
- P45 if you’ve recently finished work
- course details if you’re studying
You also need details of the person you care for. You need their:
- date of birth and address
- National Insurance number if they’re 16 or over
- Disability Living Allowance reference if they’re under 16
You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months.
Other ways to apply
If you can’t apply online, you can apply by post. The address to send your application to is at the end of the form.
Appeal a decision
You can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you disagree with a decision. You must usually ask for ‘mandatory reconsideration’ before you appeal.