4. Make a claim
Before you apply make sure you have your:
- National Insurance number (if you have a partner you’ll need theirs too)
- bank or building society details
- employment details and latest payslip if you’re working
- P45 if you’ve recently finished work
- course details if you’re studying
You also need details of the person you care for. You need their:
- date of birth and address
- National Insurance number if they’re 16 or over
- Disability Living Allowance reference if they’re under 16
You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months.
Other ways to apply
If you can’t apply online, you can apply by post. The address to send your application to is at the end of the form.
If you disagree with a decision
You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.