4. Make a claim

You will need

Before you apply make sure you have:

  • both you and your partner’s National Insurance number (if they have one)
  • your bank or building society details

You also need details of the person you care for. You need their:

  • date of birth and address
  • National Insurance number or Disability Living Allowance reference

If you’re studying or working

You will also need your:

  • employment details including dates and how much you were paid
  • course details if you’re studying
  • latest payslip, or P45 if you’ve recently finished work

You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months.

The application will reset if you don’t do anything for more than 90 minutes - you’ll have to restart your application.

Other ways to apply

If you can’t apply online, you can apply by post. The address to send your application to is at the end of the form.

Appeal a decision

You can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you disagree with a decision. You must usually ask for ‘mandatory reconsideration’ before you appeal.