What PIP is for

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability

  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

You can also read about PIP in Welsh (Cymraeg).

How PIP works

There are 2 parts to PIP:

  • a daily living part - if you need help with everyday tasks
  • a mobility part - if you need help with getting around

Whether you get one or both parts and how much you get depends on how difficult you find everyday tasks and getting around.

If you might have less than 12 months to live, you’ll automatically get the daily living part. Whether you get the mobility part depends on your needs. Find out how to claim and how much you’ll get if you might have 12 months or less to live.

Daily living part

You might get the daily living part of PIP if you need help with:

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • washing and bathing
  • using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading
  • managing your money
  • socialising and being around other people
  • talking, listening and understanding

Mobility part

You might get the mobility part of PIP if you need help with:

  • working out a route and following it
  • physically moving around
  • leaving your home

You do not have to have a physical disability to get the mobility part. You might also be eligible if you have difficulty getting around because of a cognitive or mental health condition, like anxiety.

How difficulty with tasks is assessed

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will assess how difficult you find daily living and mobility tasks. For each task they’ll look at:

  • whether you can do it safely
  • how long it takes you
  • how often your condition affects this activity
  • whether you need help to do it, from a person or using extra equipment

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

Help with PIP

If you need help understanding or applying for PIP you can:

If you live in Scotland

You need to apply for Adult Disability Payment (ADP) instead of PIP.

If you currently get PIP, you’ll be automatically moved to ADP by summer 2024.

When the move begins, you’ll get letters from DWP and Social Security Scotland. Read more about the moving process.

If you move from Scotland to England or Wales

If you get ADP and move from Scotland to England or Wales, you must make a new claim for PIP instead.

Your ADP will stop 13 weeks after you move – apply for PIP as soon as possible after moving or your payments could be affected.

If you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by PIP for most adults. You’ll keep getting DLA if:

  • you’re under 16
  • you were born on or before 8 April 1948

If you were born after 8 April 1948, DWP will invite you to apply for PIP. You do not need to do anything until DWP writes to you about your DLA unless your circumstances change.