You can get PIP whether you’re working or not.

You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim.

You must also have a health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months

You usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in an EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

There are different rules if you’re terminally ill.

You cannot get PIP and Armed Forces Independence Payment at the same time.

The process is different in Northern Ireland.

If you’ve reached State Pension age

You can get PIP if you:

  • were already getting PIP before you reached State Pension age and your condition hasn’t changed
  • have been claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and you’ve had a letter inviting you to apply for PIP

You may get PIP if you previously got it and you were still entitled to it within the last year.

If you cannot get PIP, you can apply for Attendance Allowance instead.

Living abroad

You might still be able to get PIP if you:

If you’re not a British citizen

You must:

  • normally live in or show that you intend to settle in the UK, Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)

You might still be able to get PIP if you are a refugee or have humanitarian protection status.

Daily living difficulties

You may get the daily living part of PIP if you need help more than half of the time with things like:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

Mobility difficulties

You may get the mobility part of PIP if you need help going out or moving around.

How you’re assessed

You’ll be assessed by an independent healthcare professional to help DWP work out the level of help you need.