There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions.
Some benefits you might get are:
- Universal Credit
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Attendance Allowance
- ‘new style’ Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Depending on your circumstances, you might also be able to get:
- Industrial Injuries Benefit if you’re disabled as a result of work
- Constant Attendance Allowance if you need daily care and attention because of a disability
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Vehicles and transport
If you’re disabled you can apply for the following:
- exemption from paying vehicle tax
- parking benefits - Blue Badge
- disabled persons bus pass or railcard
- help to buy or lease a car from The Motability Scheme
Home and housing
If you’ve been assessed by your local council as needing care and support services, you can get:
- Direct payments - allowing you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of getting it directly from social services
- Disabled Facilities Grants - which is money towards the costs of home adaptations to enable you to continue living there
If you’re on a low income
You may be eligible for Universal Credit and could get help with housing costs.
Help if you’re employed
You may be able to top up a low salary by claiming Universal Credit.
You also might be able to get an Access to Work grant to pay for:
- special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
- help getting to and from work
- mental health support
- communication support at a job interview (for example, a British Sign Language interpreter or a lipspeaker)
VAT relief on certain goods and services
You do not have to pay VAT on certain goods and services if they’re just for your own use and you’re disabled or have a long term illness.
Armed forces compensation
You may be able to get compensation if you’ve been injured or disabled while serving in the armed forces.