3. Vehicles and transport

Blue Badge parking scheme

The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers.

Vehicle tax exemption


You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

How to claim

You claim the exemption when you apply for a tax disc.

You can do this online, by phone, by post or at a Post Office that issues tax discs.

You’ll need:

  • your exemption certificate serial number
  • the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the exemption certificate holder

Your exemption certificate must be one of the following:

  • certificate of entitlement for DLA
  • statement of entitlement for PIP
  • annual certificate of entitlement
  • DLA404
  • MHS330
  • WPA0442

You must claim at a Post Office that issues tax discs if you’re claiming for a particular vehicle for the first time. You can’t do it online or by phone.

Vehicle tax reduction


You can get a 50% reduction in the cost of your tax disc if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

You can’t get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.

How to claim

Send all of the following to DVLA Swansea:

  • your statement of entitlement (it’s at the end of your PIP award letter)
  • the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • a V10 form
  • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

SA99 1DZ

The Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme can help you with leasing or buying a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. You’ll need to be getting the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.

VAT relief for vehicles

You may not have to pay VAT on having a vehicle adapted to suit your condition, or on the lease of a Motability vehicle - this is known as VAT relief.

Community and public transport

Your local council may operate dial-a-ride or taxi schemes, for example, using vouchers or tokens. You may also be eligible for a bus pass and/or Disabled Persons Railcard.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.