Blue Badge parking scheme
The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers.
Vehicle tax exemption
You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:
- higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.
How to claim
You claim the exemption when you apply for a tax disc.
You can do this online, by phone, by post or at a Post Office that issues tax discs.
- your exemption certificate serial number
- the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the exemption certificate holder
Your exemption certificate must be one of the following:
- certificate of entitlement for DLA
- statement of entitlement for PIP
- annual certificate of entitlement
You must claim at a Post Office that issues tax discs if you’re claiming for a particular vehicle for the first time. You can’t do it online or by phone.
Vehicle tax reduction
You can get a 50% reduction in the cost of your tax disc if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.
You can’t get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.
How to claim
Send all of the following to DVLA Swansea:
- your statement of entitlement (it’s at the end of your PIP award letter)
- the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
- a V10 form
- an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
- a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
The Motability Scheme
The Motability Scheme can help you with leasing or buying a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. You’ll need to be getting the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.
VAT relief for vehicles
You may not have to pay VAT on having a vehicle adapted to suit your condition, or on the lease of a Motability vehicle - this is known as VAT relief.