Home and housing

Direct Payments - arranging your own care and services

If you’ve been assessed by your local council as needing care and support services, you may want to choose Direct Payments. They allow you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of receiving it directly from your local council.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are local council grants. It helps towards the cost of essential adaptations to your home to enable you to continue to live there.

Council Tax Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax bill if your home has certain features that are essential to you living there.


You have an extension for a downstairs bedroom, increasing the size of your property, which means you have to pay more Council Tax. However, as the room has been built because of your disability, you can get your new higher rate of Council Tax reduced, so you pay the same as before.

Contact your local council to apply for Council Tax Disabled Band Reduction.

If you’re on a low income

Universal Credit

If you’re eligible for Universal Credit you could get help paying for your housing.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit. Most people will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Check if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit before you apply.

You may also get a Council Tax Reduction from your local council.