On a low salary

Income Support

You can claim Income Support if you’re:

You may qualify for the following disability premiums:

  • disability premium
  • severe disability premium
  • enhanced disability premium

You will also automatically qualify for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction and may receive help towards health costs, such as prescriptions.

Working Tax Credit

If you’re in work but on low pay, you can apply for Working Tax Credit to top-up your earnings. You may get extra if someone in your household is disabled.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

If you’re looking for work and get income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you may also qualify for disability premiums.

Blind Person’s Allowance

The Blind Person’s Allowance allows you to receive an amount of income without having to pay tax. It’s added to your personal tax allowance.