Change your vehicle's tax class

Skip to contents of guide

Tax is due to run out or changing if the vehicle is exempt

Change your vehicle’s tax class at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax if either:

  • the vehicle tax is due to run out (you’ve had a reminder or ‘last chance’ warning letter)
  • you’re changing whether a vehicle is exempt from vehicle tax or not, for example, it’s being used by a disabled person

If you’re eligible for a vehicle tax reduction because you’re disabled, you need to apply by post to DVLA.

What to take to the Post Office

Vehicle registration documents

Take the V5C registration certificate (log book) in your name.

If you do not have one, you’ll need:

  • a completed application for a new registration certificate - either download form V62 or get it from the Post Office
  • your ‘new keeper’ slip, if you’ve just bought the vehicle

A new registration certificate is free if you have a ‘new keeper’ slip. Otherwise the cost is £25.

Other documents

You must also take:

  • your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) if you have one
  • an MOT certificate that’s valid when the tax starts, or evidence if your vehicle’s exempt from an MOT (V112)
  • evidence of any eligibility for a disability exemption
  • payment for vehicle tax (if you have to pay for your new tax class)
  • an insurance certificate or cover note (only in Northern Ireland)

If you drive a lorry or bus, you also need to take the vehicle’s latest annual test certificate or exemption (V112G).

What happens next

  1. The Post Office sends your V5C, new keeper slip or V62 to DVLA.

  2. You’ll get a confirmation from DVLA that the change has been made.

  3. DVLA will send you an updated V5C.

  4. DVLA will send you a refund if you’re due one. It will take longer than usual to send your refund because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

You can still use your vehicle while your application is being processed.