You must do several things before you drive a car or ride a bike - these include getting a driving licence, registering your vehicle and making sure it’s insured, has a tax disc and an MOT.

Before you drive or ride

To drive or ride a vehicle or motorcycle you must:

Learner drivers

As a learner driver you must:

  • be supervised by a qualified driver (not if riding a motorcycle)
  • display L plates (L or D plates in Wales)

Vehicle requirements

The vehicle must:

  • be registered with DVLA
  • have a valid vehicle tax disc
  • have a current MOT certificate (if required)

You must also have a minimum of third party insurance which covers you using the vehicle.

Changes to personal or vehicle details

You must tell DVLA if you:

Driving larger vehicles or buses

There are higher medical and eyesight standards for driving larger vehicles.

You must also tell DVLA if you have convictions relating to your driving conduct.

If you’re applying for a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) licence then you have to tell DVLA if you have any non-driving convictions as well.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.