4. How to claim

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim if you’re in Great Britain.

The process is different for claims in Northern Ireland.

DWP - Personal Independence Payment claims
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You’ll be asked for information like:

  • contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. You can also write asking for a form to send the above information by post (this can delay the decision on your claim).

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

What happens next

You’ll be sent a ‘How your condition affects you’ form. It comes with notes to help you fill it in. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form.

You must use the PIP application form DWP send you - don’t use any Disability Living Allowance (DLA) forms you may have.

You’ll need an assessment to complete your application.

DWP will send you a letter once they’ve made their decision, explaining why you do or don’t get PIP.

What you need to know

If you’re terminally ill

You can get PIP more quickly if you’re not expected to live more than 6 months.

Call DWP to start your PIP claim and then send them form DS1500 (you can only get this form from a doctor or other healthcare professional).

You will not need to complete the ‘How your condition affects you’ form or go to a face-to-face consultation.

General information
Telephone: 0345 850 3322
Textphone: 0345 601 6677
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges