Benefits for carers and people with disabilities
What you can claim depends on:
- which benefit you’re claiming
- where you’re going and for how long
Going abroad temporarily
You can claim the following benefits if you’re going abroad for up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if it’s for medical treatment):
You can carry on claiming Carer’s Allowance if you take up to 4 weeks holiday out of a 26-week period.
Tell the office that deals with your benefit that you’ll be away.
Going abroad permanently to an EEA country or Switzerland
You or a family member may be able to claim benefits if you:
- work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work
- have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based benefits
- are getting State Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit, contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits
- are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement
If you’re eligible then you may be able to claim:
- Disability Living Allowance care component
- Personal Independence Payment daily living part
- Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Allowance
You cannot claim Disability Living Allowance mobility component and Personal Independence Payment mobility component abroad.
If you already live in an EEA country or Switzerland
You do not need to have claimed in the UK before you moved. But you must:
- be habitually resident in the EEA country or Switzerland
- have a genuine link with the UK social security system, for example you’ve lived or worked in the UK
- be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement
Make a claim or change your details
To make a claim or change any personal details, such as your address or bank account, write to the Exportability Team that deals with the benefit you are claiming.
If you’re making a claim, your letter should say:
- what benefits you want to claim
- where you live
Attendance Allowance Exportability Team
Mail Handling Site A
Disability Living Allowance Exportability Team
Room C212 Pension, Disability and Carers Service
Warbreck Hill Road
Personal Independence Payment 7 Exportability Team
Mail Handling Site B
You can also write to the Carers Allowance Exportability Team.
Mail Handling Site A
Help and advice
Contact the Disability Benefits Exportability Team about Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payment.
If you have a general enquiry about Carer’s Allowance, contact the Carer’s Allowance Unit.