6. Benefits for carers and people with disabilities
What you can claim depends on:
- which benefit you’re claiming
- where you’re going and for how long
Going abroad temporarily
You can claim the following benefits if you’re going abroad for up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if it’s for medical treatment):
You can carry on claiming Carer’s Allowance if you take up to 4 weeks holiday out of a 26-week period.
Tell the office that deals with your benefit that you’ll be away.
Going abroad permanently to another EEA country or Switzerland
You or a family member may be able to claim benefits if you:
- work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work
- have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based benefits
- are getting State Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit, contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits
If you’re eligible then you may be able to claim:
- Disability Living Allowance care component
- Personal Independence Payment living component
- Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Allowance
You can’t claim Disability Living Allowance mobility component and Personal Independence Payment mobility component abroad.
If you already live in another EEA country or Switzerland
You don’t need to have claimed in the UK before you moved. But you must:
- be habitually resident in the EEA country or Switzerland
- have a genuine link with the UK social security system, for example you’ve lived or worked in the UK
Make a claim or change your details
You must write to the Exportability Team Co-ordinator to make a claim or change any personal details, for example your address or bank account.
They deal with:
- the care component of Disability Living Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
If you’re making a claim, your letter should say:
- what benefits you want to claim
- where you live
Pension, Disability and Carers Service
Warbreck Hill Road
Help and advice
Contact the Disability Benefits Exportability Team about Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payment.
Contact the Carer’s Allowance Exportability Team about Carer’s Allowance.