Illness and injury benefits

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

You can get SSP if you’re eligible and either of the following apply:

  • you work for a UK employer in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • you work outside the EEA and your employer pays National Insurance contributions for you

Contact your employer to claim SSP.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can get ESA for up to 4 weeks if you go abroad. Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus before you go.

Going abroad for more than 4 weeks but less than a year

Tell your local Jobcentre Plus if you’re going abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child.

It does not matter which country you go to.

Going abroad for more than a year

You may get contribution-based ESA in the EEA or Switzerland if you:

  • are eligible
  • have paid enough National Insurance contributions
  • are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement

Find out if you can get contribution-based ESA in the EEA or Switzerland.

Help and advice on ESA

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

If you’re getting Industrial Injuries Benefit for work-related accidents and illnesses, you can still get this abroad.

Contact the office dealing with your benefit if you’re still in the UK, or the International Pension Centre if you’re living abroad.

Help and advice on IIDB

International Pension Centre
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7650
Textphone: +44 (0)191 218 7280
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Find out about call charges