Maternity and childcare benefits

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)

If you work for a UK employer in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can get SMP as long as you’re eligible.

If you work in a different country, you can still get SMP as long as your employer pays UK National Insurance contributions for you.

Talk to your employer about claiming SMP.

Maternity Allowance

If you cannot get SMP, you might be eligible for Maternity Allowance.

If you’re eligible, you can get Maternity Allowance in an EEA country or Switzerland.

You may also be able to claim it in:

  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Israel
  • Channel Islands
  • Kosovo
  • Montenegro
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • Macedonia

Ask your local Jobcentre Plus for more information.

You can also get the following in an EEA country or Switzerland if you’re eligible: