Jobseeker's Allowance

There are 2 different types of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA):

  • New Style JSA
  • income-based JSA

You cannot get income-based JSA abroad.

You may get New Style JSA in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for up to 3 months if you:

  • are entitled to it on the day you go abroad
  • register as a jobseeker at least 4 weeks before you leave
  • are looking for work in the UK up to the day you leave
  • are going abroad to look for work
  • register at the equivalent of a Jobcentre in the country you’re going to
  • follow the other country’s rules on registering and looking for work
  • are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement

Find out if you can get JSA in the EEA or Switzerland.

Moving to a country not in the EEA

Some countries outside the EEA have social security agreements with the UK. This means that if you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions in the UK, you may be able to get unemployment benefits in:

  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Channel Islands
  • Kosovo
  • Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • Serbia

Help and advice on JSA

International Pension Centre
Telephone +44 (0) 191 206 9390
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm
Find out about call charges