Carer's Allowance

5. Report a change in circumstances

You must report any change in your circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance.

This includes if you get a job, take a break from caring for someone or stop being a carer altogether.

You must tell the Department for Work and Pensions if the person you’re caring for dies.

Breaks from caring

You can still get Carer’s Allowance if you take a break. A break is any time you spent less than 35 hours a week caring for the other person. You could for example get Carer’s Allowance for up to:

  • 12 weeks if either of you go into respite care or hospital
  • 4 weeks if either of you go on holiday