Tell the office dealing with your benefit if:
- you think you’re being overpaid
- your circumstances change
You may have to pay back the benefit.
There’s a different process for tax credits overpayment.
When to contact the benefit office
It’s your responsibility to contact the office straight away if:
- you think you’ve been overpaid
- you get a letter telling you that you’ve been overpaid - and who to contact
- your circumstances change and this is likely to affect a benefit
When the benefit office will contact you
You might get a letter to let you know that you’ve been overpaid.
Contact the office dealing with your benefit within one month if you think it’s a mistake and you want to appeal the decision.
Housing Benefit paid directly to your landlord
Your landlord may be asked to repay the money if they’re responsible for an overpayment. You may have to repay if it was your fault.