Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults

Skip to contents of guide

DLA rates

You can no longer apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you’re 16 or over. You might be able to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.

DLA is made up of 2 components (parts), the ‘care component’ and the ‘mobility component’. To get DLA you must be eligible for at least one of the components.

How much DLA you get depends on how your disability or health condition affects you.

If you need help looking after yourself

You might get the care component of DLA if you:

  • need help with things like washing, dressing, eating, using the toilet or communicating your needs
  • need supervision to avoid putting yourself or others in danger
  • need someone with you when you’re on dialysis
  • cannot prepare a cooked main meal

You can get this part if no one is actually giving you the care you need, or you live alone.

Care component Weekly rate Level of help you need
Lowest £23.60 Help for some of the day or with preparing cooked meals
Middle £59.70 Frequent help or constant supervision during the day, supervision at night or someone to help you while on dialysis
Highest £89.15 Help or supervision throughout both day and night, or you’re terminally ill

If you get DLA and Constant Attendance Allowance, the care component of your DLA will be reduced by the amount of Constant Attendance Allowance you get.

If you have walking difficulties

You might get the mobility component of DLA if, when using your normal aid, you:

  • cannot walk
  • can only walk a short distance without severe discomfort
  • could become very ill if you try to walk

You might also get it if you:

  • have no feet or legs
  • are assessed as 100% blind and at least 80% deaf and you need someone with you when outdoors
  • are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and get the highest rate of care for DLA
  • need supervision most of the time when walking outdoors
  • are certified as severely sight impaired and you were aged between 3 and 64 on 11 April 2011
Mobility component Weekly rate Level of help you need
Lower £23.60 Guidance or supervision outdoors
Higher £62.25 You have any other, more severe, walking difficulty

You must contact the Disability Service Centre if your circumstances change, for example your condition improves or you need more help.


You might get a letter saying you need to attend an assessment to check the level of help you need. The letter explains why, and where you must go. Your benefit may be stopped if you do not go.

At the assessment, you’ll be asked for identification. You can use a passport or any 3 of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • a full driving licence
  • life assurance policy
  • bank statements

How you’re paid

DLA is usually paid every 4 weeks on a Wednesday.

If your payment date is on a bank holiday, you will usually be paid before the bank holiday. After that you’ll continue to get paid as normal.

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into your bank, building society or credit union account.

Extra help

You could get extra benefits if you get Disability Living Allowance - check with the Disability Service Centre or the office dealing with your benefit.

If your disability or health condition stops you from working and you’re eligible for Universal Credit, you could get an extra amount on top of your Universal Credit standard allowance.

If you get DLA and you work, you might also be able to get the disability element of Working Tax Credit (up to £3,220 a year, or up to £4,610 if your disability is severe). Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to find out.