Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults

Skip to contents of guide

If you already get DLA

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as long as you’re eligible for it.

If you were born after 8 April 1948, your DLA will end. You’ll get a letter telling you when that will happen. You’ll continue to get DLA until that date.

Unless your circumstances change, you do not need to do anything until you get this letter.

If your DLA claim is ending

If your DLA is ending, you’ll get a letter inviting you to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you do apply, you’ll need to do it within 28 days.

DLA will continue to be paid until at least 28 days after a decision is made about your PIP application.

If you’re eligible for PIP, you’ll start getting PIP payments as soon as your DLA payments end.

Change of circumstances

You must contact the Disability Service Centre if your circumstances change, as this may affect how much DLA you get. For example:

  • the level of help you need or your condition changes

  • you go into hospital or a care home for more than 4 weeks

  • you go abroad for more than 13 weeks

  • you’re imprisoned or held in detention

You must also contact the centre if:

  • you change your name, address or bank details

  • you want to stop receiving your benefit

  • your doctor’s details change

You may be asked to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) after you report a change to your circumstances.

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.

If you’ve been paid too much

You may have to repay the money if you:

  • did not report a change straight away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid by mistake

Find out how to repay the money you owe from benefit overpayment.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your DLA claim. This is called asking for ‘mandatory reconsideration’.