Who should apply
If you’re an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, you’ll usually need to apply if you want to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021. This includes if you’re married to a British citizen.
You can apply once the scheme is open.
Who does not need to apply
You do not need to apply if:
- you’re an Irish citizen
- you have indefinite leave to enter the UK
- you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
Your family members from outside either the UK or Ireland will still need to apply even if you do not need to.
Applying if you’re from outside the EU
You must be in a relationship with an EU citizen as their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.
You’ll need a residence card to prove your relationship if you’re unmarried.
You can also be related to an EU citizen, their spouse or civil partner as their:
- child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
- dependent child over the age of 21
- dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
- dependent relative with a residence card to prove your relationship
If you have a ‘UK permanent residence document’
You will still need to apply.
Read the guidance on what to do if you have a UK permanent residence document.