Settled status for EU citizens and their families


To be eligible for settled status, you’ll need to:

  • be an EU citizen, or a family member of an EU citizen
  • have been living in the UK continuously for 5 years (‘continuous residence’)
  • have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you’ll generally be eligible for ‘pre-settled status’ instead.

If you’re a non-EU citizen, you will need to show your relationship to an EU citizen living here.

Full details of the scheme are still subject to approval by Parliament.

‘Continuous residence’

Continuous residence means you’ve been in the UK for at least 6 months in each of those 5 years, except for:

  • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, to work or study)
  • compulsory military service

If you will not have 5 years’ continuous residence when you apply

You’ll generally get ‘pre-settled status’ instead.

Pre-settled status means you can stay in the UK for a further 5 years. You can live and work here, and will have access to public funds and services on the same basis as you do now.

Once you have 5 years’ continuous residence you can apply for settled status.

Settled status for your child

You’ll need to apply on behalf of your child so they can get settled status, unless they’re a British citizen.

If you’re eligible to apply, any children you have aged under 21 will also be eligible, even if they arrive in the UK after 31 December 2020.

If you have a child after getting settled status

Your child will automatically be a British citizen if they’re born in the UK. You will not need to apply for settled status on their behalf.

If you’re overseas and a family member of an EU citizen living in the UK

If you’re not living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you’ll be able to apply to join your family member here after that date if both:

  • your family member is eligible to apply and your relationship existed by 31 December 2020
  • you’re a close family member, for example a spouse, civil partner, a dependent child or grandchild, or a dependent parent or grandparent