What you'll need to apply

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK

You’ll need to provide this proof again when you apply to change your pre-settled status for settled status.

Proof of identity

You need a valid passport or national identity card. You also need to provide a digital photo of your face.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you can use any of the following:

If you do not have any of these you may be able to use other evidence in certain situations. Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre if you do not have an identity document.

When you apply, you can either:

  • scan your document and upload your photo using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app using an Android phone, or an iPhone 7 or above
  • send your document in the post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself)

Scan your document

You can use the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app on:

  • an Android phone
  • an iPhone 7 or above

To scan your documents using a phone, you’ll need one of the following:

  • a valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or ID card, if it’s biometric
  • a UK-issued biometric residence card

You can use someone else’s phone to prove your identity.

Send your document by post

You must send your document by post if you have a:

  • non-EU or EEA passport
  • biometric residence permit
  • non-biometric ID card

You can send other types of document in the post if you cannot use the ‘ID Document Check’ app.

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19) it may take longer than usual to return documents. If you need your documents back by a specific date, you should wait to apply. For example, if you’re going on holiday soon, apply when you come back.

Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply.

If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status.

You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.

If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if you have been here for 5 years in a row but there is not enough data to confirm this.

The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need to provide any documents. You should submit photos or scans of your documents through the online application form, rather than sending them by post.

Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re asked to provide more evidence.

If you have criminal convictions

If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you do not pose a security threat.

You’ll be asked to declare convictions that appear in your criminal record in the UK or overseas.

You do not need to declare any of the following:

  • convictions that do not need to be disclosed (‘spent convictions’)
  • warnings (‘cautions’)
  • alternatives to prosecution, for example speeding fines

You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

You’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status if you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

If you’ve been to prison, you usually need 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You’ll usually need to provide proof of your relationship to your family member from the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

  1. Step 1 Check if you need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

    You may need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

    1. Check if you need to apply
  2. Step 2 Find out what status you’ll get

    You’ll get settled or pre-settled status depending on how long you’ve been living in the UK. This might affect when you choose to apply.

    1. Find out what you’ll get
  3. Step 3 Check what you’ll need to apply

  4. Step 4 Apply

    The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

    1. Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme
  5. Step 5 After you've applied

Transition period

Find out what it means for you