Who should apply

You’ll need to apply if you’re an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, except for in a few cases.

You will not need to apply if you have:

Otherwise you’ll need to apply, even if you:

If you’re married to a British citizen

You’ll need to apply if you’re from the EU.

You’ll not usually be eligible if you’re from outside the EU.

Applying if you’re from outside the EU

You must be in a relationship with an EU citizen as their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.

You’ll need a residence card to prove your relationship if you’re unmarried.

You can also be related to an EU citizen, their spouse or civil partner as their:

  • child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
  • dependent child over the age of 21
  • dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
  • dependent relative with a residence card to prove your relationship
  1. Step 1 Find out about the EU Settlement Scheme

    You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK. You’ll get settled or pre-settled status if your application is successful.

    1. Find out what the EU Settlement Scheme is
    2. Check what your rights are with settled and pre-settled status
  2. Step 2 Check if you can apply

  3. Step 3 Find out when to apply

    The scheme is open to some EU citizens and their family members now. It will open fully by 30 March 2019.

    Which status you get will depend on how long you’ve been living in the UK. This might affect when you choose to apply.

    1. Find out when to apply
  4. Step 4 Apply

    You'll have until 30 June 2021 to apply, or until 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

    1. What you'll need to do when you apply

    You can apply in a different way if you're under 21.

    1. How to apply if you're under 21
    1. Apply to the test phase of the EU Settlement Scheme
  5. Step 5 After you've applied