If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after December 2020.
You will not need to apply if:
- you’re an Irish citizen
- you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
- you have indefinite leave to enter the UK - for example, you have a Returning Resident visa
However, your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will need to apply.
Rights for citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are still being negotiated.
When you can apply
The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by March 2019.
The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK.
Sign up for email updates to find out when the scheme opens.
The fee to apply will be:
- £65 if you’re 16 or over
- £32.50 if you’re under 16
It’ll be free to apply if:
- you already have valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK
- you have a valid permanent residence document
- you’re applying to move from pre-settled status to settled status
- you’re a child in local authority care