If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020.
You will not need to apply if:
- you’re an Irish citizen
- you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
- you have indefinite leave to enter the UK
Your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will still need to apply even if you do not need to.
Rights for citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are still being negotiated.
When you can apply
The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019.
The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK.
Sign up for email updates to find out when the scheme opens.
The fee to apply will be:
- £65 if you’re 16 or over
- £32.50 if you’re under 16
It’ll be free to apply if:
- you have indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK and want to change this for settled status
- you have a valid permanent residence document
- you’re applying to move from pre-settled status to settled status from April 2019
- you’re a child in local authority care