The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone.
Call the contact centre
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges
Call to ask for alternative formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD.
There’s a different way to apply in Northern Ireland.
What you need to claim
You’ll need the following when you make a claim:
- National Insurance number
- medical certificate
- GP’s address and phone number
- home and mobile telephone numbers
- mortgage or landlord details
- council tax bill
- employer’s address and telephone number and dates of employment or last day worked
- bank account details
- details of any other money you are getting, such as benefits or sick pay
Appeal a decision
You can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you disagree with a decision. You must usually ask for ‘mandatory reconsideration’ before you appeal.