The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone.
Contact centre numbers
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges
You can also post form ESA1 to your local Jobcentre Plus office. The interactive version of form ESA1 can be filled out on a computer.
What you need to claim
You’ll need the following when you make a claim:
- National Insurance number
- medical certificate
- GP’s address and phone number
- home and mobile telephone numbers
- mortgage or landlord details
- council tax bill
- employer’s address and telephone number and dates of employment or last day worked
- bank account details
- details of any other money you are getting, eg benefits or sick pay
Appeal a decision
You can appeal a decision about your Employment and Support Allowance if you’re unhappy with it.