Living in Cambodia

Official information British people moving to and living in Cambodia need to know, including residency, healthcare and driving.

Before you go

See our travel advice for up-to-date information on local laws and customs, safety and emergencies.

See moving or retiring abroad.


Cambodia has the following emergency numbers:

  • General number to report crime/helpline: 097 778 0002 or 012 999 999
  • Local police for a general emergency:117
  • Ambulance (S.A.M.U): 119

If you need urgent help, contact the British Embassy.


See entry requirements for Cambodia in our travel advice.

If you require a visa before travelling to Cambodia, contact the Cambodian Embassy in London.

Visa overstay: you risk a heavy fine, detention and other severe penalties if you overstay your Cambodian visa. The visa overstay fine is US $10 per day. If your overstay is more than 30 days, the fine is payable at the Visa Office. If your overstay is less than 30 days, you have the option of settling the fine at the border when leaving the country.

The Visa Office is located opposite Phnom Penh International Airport at #332 Russian Federation Blvd (street 110), Phnom Penh. Usual working hours are Monday to Friday 7:30 to 11:30am and 2:00 to 5:30pm.

Exit visa: if you are travelling with an Emergency Travel Document, you will require an exit visa. The fee is $30 payable at the Visa Office. The visa processing time is usually three working days.

Accommodation and buying property

There are no residence requirements in Cambodia apart from obtaining a current valid visa. Cambodian permanent residency is granted on a case-by-case basis but this is at the discretion of the King and can depend on language ability and other factors.

Generally foreign nationals can own property in Cambodia but there are restrictions. You should contact a lawyer if you are considering buying property or land. See guidance for buying property abroad.


See our travel advice for Cambodia.

Cambodia and the UK do not have reciprocal healthcare agreements. You are strongly advised to take out comprehensive travel insurance before you enter the country. You will be liable for any medical fees that you incur.

Insurance companies in Cambodia:

AG Cambodia Co Ltd Cambodian National Insurance Company Forte Insurance Infinity General Insurance Plc

If you intend to be out of the UK for a prolonged period, you should also make sure you are covered by health insurance for UK treatment or you will be charged by the NHS for any care you receive in the UK.

The NHS has information for people moving abroad.

Some private hospitals in Cambodia have English speaking staff who will assist patients, their relatives and insurance companies. Staff in public hospitals often speak little or no English.

For information on bringing medication into Cambodia please enquire at the Cambodian Embassy in London. You should also check your prescriptions are legal in Cambodia. You must apply for a permit to bring drugs containing psychotropic or narcotic substances into the country. It is advisable to consult with a medical professional if you have any queries.

Working and Volunteering in Cambodia

If you plan to:

  • work
  • volunteer
  • conduct business or investment activities

You must apply for a visa (see visas). You should make arrangements through your employer or volunteer organisation and ask the Cambodian Embassy in London for advice and information.

Your volunteering organisation should be legally registered with the Cambodian Ministry of Commerce. You will need a recommendation letter from the volunteer organisation for your visa application and the work permit.

You should get your UK education certificates legalised before you leave the UK.


See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

See information about taxes in Cambodia from the Cambodia Revenue Department. We recommend you seek professional advice on paying tax in Cambodia.

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


See State Pension if you retire abroad and new State Pension.

Life certificates for UK state pensions - if you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you do not.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you are abroad and how to claim them. Please note, many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you are abroad for more than four weeks.

Driving in Cambodia

See driving abroad.

Also see taking a vehicle out of the UK.


See voting when you’re abroad.

British citizens living abroad can vote in some UK elections – you’ll need to register as an overseas voter.


See register a birth abroad.


See what to do after someone dies and bereavement information for Cambodia.

Getting Married

See getting married abroad.


Ensure your passport has at least 6 months validity from your planned date of return to your home country. Cambodia will refuse entry on arrival and some airlines will not allow passengers to board flights if their passport does not meet this requirement.

Renewing passports

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document (sometimes called an emergency passport).

Returning to the UK

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

See tax if you return to the UK.

Your right to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality. See NHS: cover your healthcare abroad.

See bringing your pet to the UK.


See travelling with pets.

Good Conduct Certificates (Police Criminal Checks)

The British Embassy does not issue a letter to vouch for your good conduct or get involved in the process of obtaining a police criminal check (CRB/Good Conduct Certificate). This is best done in person at the Ministry of Justice before you leave the UK, but can be done online at For more information, see how to obtain police clearance report. For your convenience, you can download the CV form for police clearance. You should check with the Ministry of Justice directly if you have further queries.

Other useful information


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Cambodian authorities. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 22 October 2013
Last updated 26 February 2015 + show all updates
  1. Updated: Residence requirements

  2. updated format

  3. updated format

  4. First published.