• Register for Self Assessment

    Register for Self Assessment - forms including SA1, SA400, SA401, deadlines and your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number

  • Tax tribunal

    Appeal to the tax tribunal - the First-tier Tribunal (Tax) - against tax decisions: how to appeal, the hearing, if you lose your case

  • Appeal against Self Assessment penalties and tax bills

    Appeal Self Assessment penalties and tax bills - deadline to appeal, how to appeal, penalty appeal form SA370

  • Business records if you're self-employed

    Records and paperwork you must keep if you're self-employed - income, costs, profit, how long to keep records

  • Businesses and charging VAT

    VAT for business - VAT rates, exempt and zero-rated items, when to charge VAT, discounts and VAT on offers

  • Capital allowances

    Claim capital allowances to reduce your business' tax bill to take account of money you've spent on assets - plant, machinery, buildings, renovations, first year allowances, water efficiency, energy saving

  • Capital Gains Tax

    Capital Gains Tax (CGT) explained - how it's worked out, current CGT rates and how to pay

  • Charities and tax

    Tax exemptions and reliefs for charities - apply for charitable status, reclaim tax on Gift Aid, tax-efficient giving, profits and expenditure

  • Corporation Tax rates

    Your Corporation Tax rate depends on how much profit your company makes and may change on 1 April each year

  • Disincorporation relief

    Your company may be eligible for a Corporation Tax relief on transferred assets if it 'disincorporates' (ie convert the company into another business structure like a partnership

  • File your Machine Games Duty return

    Log in to your HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online account and file your Machine Games Duty (MGD) return

  • Log in and file your Self Assessment tax return

    Log in and send your Self Assessment tax return online or get help with lost user IDs, password or account activation codes

  • Newspapers: reporting to Companies House

    Annual returns for newspapers - when you need to send them

  • Pay Corporation Tax

    How to pay Corporation Tax: payment reference number, online, by Bacs or CHAPS, Direct Debit, cheque, your bank or the Post Office

  • Pay your VAT bill

    Payment options for your VAT bill including Direct Debit, BillPay, faster payments, online banking and standing orders

  • Reclaiming VAT

    What you can and can't reclaim, VAT on cars, VAT on staff travel expenses

  • Self Assessment tax returns

    Self Assessment tax returns - deadlines, who must send a tax return, penalties, corrections and paying your tax bill

  • Simpler Income Tax: cash basis

    Small businesses can record income and expenses only when money is actually paid

  • Simpler Income Tax: simplified expenses

    Use a simpler calculation to work out income tax for your vehicle, home and business premises expenses

  • Submit your VAT Return online

    Log in and submit your VAT Return online and get help with lost username, password or account activation codes

  • Tax when your company sells assets

    Your company may have to pay Corporation Tax if it sells an asset for more than it paid. The profit is known as a 'chargeable gain'

  • Tell HMRC about a change to your business

    Tell HMRC about changes to your business - a change of name, address, legal structure or business activity

  • VAT registration

    VAT - how to register, effective date of registration, registration thresholds, change your details, de-register (cancel) or transfer a VAT registration

  • VAT registration thresholds

    VAT thresholds - VAT registration, Flat Rate Scheme, Cash Accounting Scheme or Annual Accounting Scheme

  • VAT Returns

    Your VAT Return - return boxes, how to submit it, deadlines, surcharges, bad debts, final VAT Returns

  • What you must do as a Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) subcontractor

    What subcontractors in the building industry must do under the Construction Industry Scheme - registering, record keeping, applying for gross payment status and reporting business changes