You must pay your VAT bill by the deadline shown on your VAT return.
You may have to pay a surcharge or penalty if you do not pay on time.
There are different deadlines if you use:
Pay your VAT bill online
You can pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online by:
- approving a payment through your bank account using your online banking details
- debit or corporate credit card
- Direct Debit
You’ll need your 9-digit VAT registration number.
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
If you cannot pay online, you can contact your bank to pay by bank transfer.
You’ll get a payment reference number from HMRC immediately if you pay using the online service.
You do not need to contact HMRC to check your payment’s been received.
It will appear in your VAT online account within 3 to 5 days.
Ways to pay
Make sure your payment will reach HMRC’s bank account by the deadline.
You can use the VAT payment deadline calculator to work out how much time to allow.
Pay the same or next day
- by bank transfer using Faster Payments or CHAPS - check with your bank
- through your online bank account
- online by debit or corporate credit card
Pay in 3 working days
- Direct Debit
- by bank transfer using Bacs
- standing order (only for businesses using the Annual Accounting Scheme or Payments on Account)
- at your bank or building society
If the deadline falls on a weekend or bank holiday, your payment must arrive in HMRC’s bank account on the last working day before it (unless you pay by Faster Payments).