HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will send you a late filing penalty notice telling you how much to pay if you’ve filed your monthly return late.
You must pay within 30 days of receiving the notice, or you can appeal:
- through HMRC’s online service
- by writing to HMRC - quote your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and the payment reference shown on the notice
Ways to pay
Make sure you pay by the deadline. The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.
You can no longer pay at the Post Office.
Same or next day
- online or telephone banking (Faster Payments)
- online by debit or corporate credit card
- at your bank or building society
3 working days
5 working days
- Direct Debit (if you have not set up one for HMRC before)
If the deadline falls on a weekend or bank holiday, make sure your payment reaches HMRC on the last working day before it (unless you’re paying by Faster Payments).