Publication scheme

What information we publish and how to access it.

About this publication scheme

We are committed to delivering an open and transparent service and it is our intention to publish information that the public has an interest in viewing. However, the release of certain information would prejudice our ability to detect or prevent crime, so in the public interest, this information will not be disclosed. In this respect, Land Registry will, where appropriate, apply reasonable consideration of the exemptions afforded under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

We follow the Information Commissioner’s model publication scheme for public authorities.

Who we are and what we do

We publish information about:

What we spend and how we spend it

We publish:

Our priorities and how we are doing

We publish:

How we make decisions

We publish:

  • major policy proposals and decisions. If we wish to amend the rules or fee order, we have to undertake a consultation exercise with Ministerial approval before processes can be amended and changes introduced
  • background information for major policy proposals and decisions. The board escalates policy matters requiring HM Land Registry board consideration, outlining key issues and making recommendations where appropriate. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the HM Land Registry board for all major policy issues and strategies
  • public consultations
  • minutes of senior-level meetings
  • reports and papers provided in consideration at senior-level meetings
  • internal communications guidance

Our policies and procedures

We publish information about:

Lists and registers

We publish:

  • Open Register for England and Wales. Information collected by us as part of our work maintaining the Land Register for England and Wales is available as of right under the Land Registration Act 2002 and its associated Rules
  • 1862 Act register. The Land Registry Act 1862 was repealed by s.135 of, and schedule 13 to, the Land Registration Act 2002 and has ceased to have any effect. There are still some 1862 Act titles in existence. HM Land Registry will continue to have custody of the records but will take no further action on these titles
  • asset registers and information asset register. Property and Land asset database
  • CCTV information is displayed at each office
  • disclosure log. A selection of responses to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations
  • register of gifts and hospitality and conflicts of interest
  • Chief Land Registrar’s interests

The services we offer

We publish information about:

Open data and datasets

We publish:

  • our public data
  • any dataset (and updates) we hold, for which a request has been made
  • INSPIRE data- a European Commission (EC) initiative aimed at making spatial data more accessible
  • our dataset inventory, which lists all the electronic data we hold that has been obtained or recorded for us to carry out our statutory functions
  • the Geospatial Commission Data Catalogue: HM Land Registry, which lists the geospatial datasets that we hold and manage

You can also find links to HM Land Registry’s datasets and dataset inventory, and the Geospatial Commission Data Catalogue on

If you have concerns about data protection, please contact:

Data protection

Data Protection Officer
Trafalgar House
1 Bedford Park


Request information

You can get information and publications by:

  • downloading them from this website
  • downloading them from a third party website referenced in the scheme. (We take no responsibility for the content of third party websites)
  • purchasing them from a listed supplier, eg The Stationery Office

Where the information or publication is not available from the sources above, they can be supplied by us within 20 working days on written request to the Publication Scheme Officer:

Publication Scheme

Publication Scheme Officer
Trafalgar House
1 Bedford Park


If you cannot find what you want through this scheme, or on this website, you may make a request to us under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) by writing to the Freedom of Information Officer. Please be specific about the information you want, as this will help us to find it for you.

Freedom of Information requests

Freedom of Information Officer
Trafalgar House
1 Bedford Park



We usually only charge you for hard copies or copying onto media (eg CD). Where charges apply, we charge for copying, printing and postage (please note, these charges attract VAT). If these costs are under £10, we will supply the document or information free of charge. This does not apply to documents supplied under our statutory services, which are subject to fees under our current fee order.

We charge:

  • 10p per A4 page
  • 20p per A3 page
  • £1 per CD
  • postage based on current Royal Mail charges

Format and language

If you need information in an alternative format, we will do all we reasonably can to help. HM Land Registry does not routinely publish its documents in languages other than English and (certain documents) in Welsh.

The information contained in the publication scheme is protected by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. You are free to use it for your own purposes, including any non-commercial research you are doing and for the purposes of news reporting. Any other reuse, eg commercial publication, would require the permission of the copyright holder. Most documents supplied by HM Land Registry will have been produced by government officials and will be Crown copyright. For information on Crown copyright policy and general licensing arrangements, see the Office of Public Sector Information, part of The National Archives.

Information you receive that is not subject to Crown Copyright continues to be protected by the copyright of the person, or organisation, from which the information originated. You must make sure that you get their permission before reproducing any third party (non-Crown Copyright) information. For information about obtaining permission from a third party see the Intellectual Property Office.

Contact HM Land Registry about our copyright material:

HM Land Registry Copyright Enquiries

HM Land Registry Birkenhead Office
Woodside Ferry Approach

CH41 6DU