HM Land Registry is part of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Chief Executive and Chief Land Registrar Simon Hayes is responsible to Secretary of State Kwasi Kwarteng and Minister Lord Callanan.
The remit of the HM Land Registry Board is mainly supervisory, while day-to-day management is the responsibility of the Executive Board.
HM Land Registry Board
The purpose of the board is to support, constructively challenge and provide guidance to the executive board, to supervise the development and delivery of the agreed business strategy and to ensure appropriate governance of the activities of HM Land Registry.
Its main objectives are to:
- advise and agree on the long-term vision, the medium-term business strategy, the annual budget and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- review financial and operational performance
- monitor market developments for opportunities and consider any strategic risks faced by the organisation, ensuring adequate systems and controls are in place
- ensure compliance with all statutory requirements
- ensure the organisation employs best practice in respect of corporate governance
- ensure that effective relationships are maintained with shareholders, customers, suppliers, employees and government departments
The HM Land Registry Board is led by an independent non-executive Chair and has up to 12 permanent members with a majority of non-executive members, currently:
Simon Hayes, Chief Executive and Chief Land Registrar
Mike Harlow, General Counsel, Deputy Chief Executive and Deputy Chief Land Registrar
Iain Banfield, Chief Financial Officer
Chris Pope, Chief Operations Officer
Michael Mire, Non-executive Chair and Non-executive Board Member
Ed Westhead, Non-executive Board Member
Kirsty Cooper, Non-executive Board Member
Angela Morrison, Non-executive Board Member
Elliot Jordan, Non-executive Board Member
Ann Henshaw, Non-executive Board Member
Jeremy Pee, Non-executive Board Member
Audit and Risk Committee
The role of the Audit and Risk Committee is to monitor and review the effectiveness of risk, assurance and audit activity. On behalf of the board, the committee examines the effectiveness of our:
- systems of internal control and risk management systems
- management of risk
- action taken or to be taken to manage critical risks or to remedy any control failings or weaknesses identified
The committee is made up of non-executive and executive directors. They are independent of management and of any activity that might affect their objectivity. The Head of Internal Audit also attends committee meetings.
The Audit and Risk Committee is a sub-committee of the HM Land Registry Board.
The members of the Audit and Risk Committee are:
Remuneration and Nominations Committee
The Remuneration and Nominations Committee ensures that remuneration and nomination arrangements support HM Land Registry’s aims and oversees the recruitment, retention and performance of the executive team.
The Remuneration and Nominations Committee is a sub-committee of the HM Land Registry Board.
The members of the Remuneration and Nominations Committee are:
The Executive Board handles the day-to-day running of HM Land Registry, including:
- monitoring our key performance indicators and overall budget
- managing risks to the organisation
- taking financial decisions
- dealing with customer issues
- escalating important issues and decisions to the HM Land Registry Board for review
The Executive Board also meets on a monthly basis as the Transformation Board and is supported by a number of sub-committees that meet on a monthly basis.