World news story
Real Madrid vs Manchester United – Travel Advice
Advice for fans travelling to Skopje, Macedonia for Manchester United’s match with Real Madrid on 8 August 2017.
Date: Tuesday 8 August 2017
Venue: National Stadium Philip II, Skopje
Kick off time: 8:45pm (local time); 7:45pm (UK time)
Man Utd supporter meeting point/UEFA fan zone: Mother Theresa Memorial House, Macedonia Street
As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Macedonia
Passports and visas
Please check your passport and visa details:
- you don’t need a visa to travel to Macedonia if you have a British Citizen passport; but your passport should be valid for at least three months from the date you enter the country
- if you have a different type of British nationality (other than ‘British Citizen’), check entry requirements with the Macedonian Embassy in London before you travel
- make sure you take out good travel insurance even if you’re only going for one night – it could save you a lot of money if you get into difficulties
- the British Embassy have been advised you may need your passport (and your match ticket) to gain entry to the stadium
- if you lose your passport, or have it stolen, contact the British Embassy on +389 2 3299 299 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment to apply for an Emergency Passport
Getting to National Stadium ‘Philip II’
- Philip II National Stadium is located in the city centre; you can find a map showing the location of the stadium here. The stadium holds 33 460 supporters fully seated
- The Stadium is located near the city centre, in the city park, 15 minutes walking distance from the Main Square and the city centre. It can be reached by bus No 8 and No 15a (get off at the City Park Stop. There is a paid parking lot next to the stadium.
- there will be a Manchester Utd fan zone at the Mother Theresa Memorial House in Macedonia Street (map)
- it is an 18 minute walk to the stadium from Mother Theresa Memorial House; you can find a map showing the route here
- taxis are plentiful and cheap by UK standards, although some vehicles may not be in very good condition. Most taxis are metered. Vehicles may vary in colour.
- avoid taxis parked outside hotels or in tourist areas; ask your hotel to call a taxi or flag down a passing taxi with a green ‘available’ light in the window
- a licensed taxi company operates at Skopje airport and has an official rank. Details are available at http://skp.airports.com.mk/default.aspx?ItemID=384
At the match
- Man Utd fans are seated in East Sector and blocks 5 & 6 in South Sector; All gates have disabled access
- access to the stadium can be slow, there will be ticket checks and body searches at three check points before entrance to the stadium
- to avoid missing the start of the match, you should get to the stadium early - entrances will open at 5:45pm
- anyone who is obviously drunk won’t be allowed into the stadium
- weapons, flares, fireworks, alcohol, cans, glass, bottle tops aren’t allowed in the stadium
- smoking is allowed at the stadium; lighters will be permitted
- beer in plastic containers will be available at the stadium
Helpful tips for local area
You should leave your passports in a hotel safe and use another form of ID: e.g. driving licence or the passport photocopy.
You should maintain at least the same level of personal security awareness as in the UK. As in any other city beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway stations, around the town centre and when using public transport - only carry what you need and leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits.
Tap water in Skopje is drinkable.
Contact the British Embassy in Skopje in case of a consular emergency:
British Embassy Skopje, Todor Aleksandrov No.165, Skopje 1000, Macedonia
Tel: +389 (2) 3299 299 (also for out of hours emergencies)
Office hours: Monday to Thursday, 8am to 4:30pm, Friday, 8am to 1pm
For more information please visit our website at https://www.gov.uk/government/world/macedonia
Emergency services numbers
Fire brigade: 193
Follow the British Embassy on Twitter @ukinmacedonia for up to the minute travel advice.
Tourist information about Macedonia
Information about the city of Skopje