Living in Mozambique

Advice for British people living in Mozambique, including information on health, education, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Mozambique, including advice on health, education, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.


There are both public hospitals and private clinics in Mozambique. In some public and rural hospitals hospitals the facilities are very poor.


The Ministry of Education provides information on the education system in Mozambique.

Employment and recognised qualifications

Residence and work permits are needed to in order to be allowed to work in Mozambique. Employers should organise these with Mozambique Immigration and Ministry of Labour before you arrive in the country. They can be difficult to obtain.

Entry and residence requirements

If you plan to live in Mozambique you should contact the Mozambique Immigration Department. You may be asked to provide the following:

  • completed immigration forms
  • a certified copy of your valid passport
  • a valid working or residence visa
  • a letter from your employer
  • a copy of your Criminal Record Check from your country of origin
  • 3 passport sized photos

Driving licences and vehicles

UK driving licences are valid for the first 90 days of your stay in Mozambique. After that time, you must hold an International Driving Permit (only valid with a UK licence) or a valid Mozambican licence in order to drive. It is a criminal offence to drive without a valid licence in Mozambique.

To obtain a Mozambican driving licence from the local authorities (Instituto Nacional dos Transportes Terrestres – INATTER), you may be asked for a letter confirming what a British driving licence looks like. The British High Commission is able to provide this letter free of charge.

To get this letter you should bring your UK driving licence to the Consular Section which is open from Monday to Friday, 0830 to 1200.

If you are out of Maputo you should send us a scanned copy of your UK driving licence to and we will email you the letter. You should check with the local authorities if they are happy to accept a scanned letter.


To open a bank account have to be resident and holder of a DIRE (Residence Permit) and letter from your company or employer.

If you are employed in Mozambique, you have to pay Mozambique tax.

Guidance on bringing medication into Mozambique

For details contact the Mozambique Ministry of Health or the Mozambique High Commission in London.

Sponsoring family members

A resident British national can sponsor their family members to live in Mozambique as long as all immigration requirements are met and the required supporting documents have been provided. See the Mozambique government website for more details.

Leaving Mozambique

If you live in Mozambique and are considering returning to live in the UK, you should consider how you will support yourself and how non-British members of your family may be able to accompany you. There is information available to help you make informed choices about living abroad and preparing to return to the UK.

If you have not made full National Insurance (NI) contributions, remember you may not be eligible for state benefits or support. HM Revenue & Customs provide some useful information on returning to live in the UK for non-residents, including how to make NI contributions from abroad.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the British High Commission Maputo by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 14 January 2014
Last updated 9 October 2017 + show all updates
  1. Updated paragraph "Driving licences and vehicles".

  2. First published.