EU business: travelling for business and employees working in the UK

Find out what EU citizens need to do if they are working in the UK.

This page sets out what you need to do if you’re an EU citizen working in the UK. It also sets out how qualifications will apply for professional roles like lawyers and teachers.

For more EU business information, visit

Driving in the UK

EU drivers should carry a Green Card or other valid proof of insurance when driving in the UK.

Check the driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence page for up-to-date information on the documents you will need to drive in the UK.

Business activity in the UK

Freedom of movement between the EU and UK has ended. EU, EEA and Swiss citizens entering the UK for work purposes may need to apply for a visa through the UK’s points-based immigration system. This depends on the nature of their visit.

For visits under 6 months, EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can enter the UK without applying for a visa. They may participate in business-related activities, such as meetings, events and conferences.

Find out more about permitted business-related activity for visits to the UK under 6 months.

If you require EU, EEA or Swiss citizens to go to the UK to work for longer than 6 months, you will need to check the UK’s immigration laws.

Find out more about the UK’s immigration laws.

If you employ or intend to employ an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen to commute into the UK, you will need to consult guidance for frontier workers.

Find out more about frontier working into the UK.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen working in the UK, you may need to consult guidance on how to pay social security contributions.

Find out more about social security contributions for workers coming to the UK from the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

The new rules do not apply to Irish citizens because of the Common Travel Area arrangement.


Because of coronavirus, there are actions you need to take before you travel to the UK and when you arrive.

Find out more about entry restrictions, coronavirus testing and quarantine, and exemptions for some jobs.

Teacher qualifications

Teachers who qualified in the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland are still able to apply for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England, but the process has changed.

Teachers applying for QTS, who qualified in any of these countries need to provide a letter of professional standing. The letter needs to be from the organisation responsible for regulating teachers in the country in which they qualified.

Find out more about applying for QTS.

Published 2 December 2020
Last updated 26 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Updated the section on business activity in the UK to include covid entry restrictions.

  2. Minor changes to the page and updated the Teacher qualifications section.

  3. Added translations for Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish.

  4. First published.