To move goods into or out of the EU you need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) uses this number to identify you and collect duty on your goods.

You may have increased costs and delays if you do not get an EORI number. For example, if HMRC cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods into and out of the UK. If you do not already have one, you can apply now, even if you do not use it.

You can check the status of an application you have already made.

Before you apply

Check if you need to register for VAT before you apply.

To apply you may need your:

  • VAT number and effective date of registration - these are on your VAT registration certificate
  • National Insurance number - if you’re an individual or a sole trader
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - find your UTR if you do not know it
  • business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are in the Companies House register
  • Government Gateway user ID and password

If you need a Government Gateway user ID, use either:

  • the one for your business or organisation
  • your own if you’re applying as an individual

If you do not already have a user ID, you’ll be able to create one when you apply.

Apply for an EORI number

It takes 5 to 10 minutes to apply for an EORI number. You may get the number immediately, but it could take up to 3 working days if HMRC needs to make more checks.

Start now

What you need to know

You may have to wait 48 hours to use your EORI number for customs declarations in the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system. You can check when your EORI number is ready to use.

If you need help

You can contact the team online if you have problems with getting an EORI number.

EORI team
Telephone: 0300 322 7067
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (closed bank holidays)
Find out about call charges

Service issues

Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.