Get an EORI number
Apply for an EORI number
Apply for an EORI number that starts with GB
To apply for an Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI number) you need your:
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - find your UTR if you do not know it
- business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are in the Companies House register
- Government Gateway user ID and password
- VAT number and effective date of registration (if you’re VAT registered) - these are on your VAT registration certificate
- National Insurance number - if you’re an individual or a sole trader
If your business is not based in the UK, you do not need a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), a Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code or a National Insurance number.
If you do not already have a Government Gateway user ID, you’ll be able to create one when you apply.
You’ll get your GB EORI number immediately unless HMRC needs to make any checks on your application. If they do, it can take up to 5 working days.
Apply for an EORI number that starts with XI
Before you apply, check you’re eligible for an XI EORI number.
You must have applied for a GB EORI number before you can get an XI EORI number.
Once you have your GB EORI number, you’ll need to fill in an XI EORI registration form.
You’ll also need:
- your XI VAT number (if you have one)
- any VAT numbers issued by an EU country
- 2 documents showing proof of your permanent business establishment in Northern Ireland - for example, a bank statement and a utility bill
You will not be asked for proof of a permanent business establishment in Northern Ireland if:
- the establishment address on your GB EORI application is in Northern Ireland
- your business is not based (‘established’) in Northern Ireland but you need an EORI number to make certain declarations or act as a carrier, for example
You’ll get your XI EORI within 5 days.
Check the status of an application
You can check the status of an application you’ve already made.