Applying for export licences using SPIRE

How to use the online export licensing system to get a licence to export controlled goods, software and technology overseas.



SPIRE (login required) is the Export Control Joint Unit’s (ECJU) online export licensing system.

Use SPIRE to apply for:

  • open general export licences (OGELs), trade control licences (OGTCLs), standard individual export licences (SIELs), open individual export licences (OIELS) and transhipment licences
  • a Ministry of Defence (MOD) Form 680 clearance to release OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE or above equipment or information
  • private venture security grading
  • exhibition clearance
Published 9 January 2017
Last updated 26 April 2021 + show all updates
  1. Added content under 'Registering for an OGEL or an OGTCL' on need to re-register licences if you change premises.

  2. Amended guidance for exporters using SPIRE to apply for export licences from 1 January 2021.

  3. First published.