More than 4 million limited companies are registered in the UK. Over 500,000 new companies are incorporated each year.
What is Companies House?
Who we are
We employ around 1,000 staff in our UK offices. Company registrations for England and Wales are carried out in Cardiff. Registrations for Scotland and Northern Ireland are carried out in Edinburgh and Belfast. Our London office provides search services, and documents can be delivered here.
Registrar of Companies
The Registrar of Companies for England and Wales, and Chief Executive of Companies House is Louise Smyth. She’s based at Companies House in Cardiff.
The Registrar of Companies for Scotland is Lisa Davis. She’s based in Edinburgh.
The Registrar of Companies for Northern Ireland is Helen Shilliday. She’s based in Belfast.
Our main responsibilities are to:
- incorporate and dissolve limited companies
- examine and store company information
- make information available to the public
From 2017 to 2018 our priorities will be to:
- provide excellence in company registration and search
- make the register as complete and accurate as possible
- build a high performance culture
Information on the services we offer.