We incorporate and dissolve limited companies. We register company information and make it available to the public.
More than 3.5 million limited companies are registered in the UK. 500,000 new companies are incorporated each year.
Who we are
We employ around 1,000 staff in our UK offices. Company registrations for England and Wales are carried out in Cardiff. Registrations for Scotland and Northern Ireland are carried out in Edinburgh and Belfast. Our London office provides search services, and documents can be delivered here.
Registrar of Companies
The Registrar of Companies for England and Wales, and Chief Executive of Companies House is Ann Lewis. She’s based at Companies House in Cardiff.
The Registrar of Companies for Scotland is Aoife Martin. She’s based in Edinburgh.
The Registrar of Companies for Northern Ireland is Helen Shilliday. She’s based in Belfast.
Our main responsibilities are to:
- incorporate and dissolve limited companies
- examine and store company information
- make information available to the public
From 2017 to 2018 our priorities will be to:
- provide excellence in company registration and search
- make the register as complete and accurate as possible
- build a high performance culture
Information on the services we offer.
- find company information free of charge and file documents online using the Companies House Service
- search disqualified directors using the Companies House Service
- use our online subscription service Companies House Direct
- file company information online using WebFiling
- find company information online using WebCHeck
- find company information on our mobile app
- download company data with our data products
Access our information
- Equality and diversity
- Media enquiries
- Statistics at Companies House
- Office access and opening times
- Research at Companies House
- Our governance
- Complaints procedure
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to Welsh language scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use. Find out About our services.