Statistics at Companies House
Companies House releases monthly and yearly statistics on company register activity, late filing penalties and public targets.
Incorporated companies in the UK
Statistics releases from previous years scan be found on The National Archives.
Headline UK statistics
The latest statistics for July 2015 are:
- 3,556,489 total companies on the register
- 3,282,047 active (effective) companies on the register
- 51,608 company incorporations
- 35,125 company dissolutions
- 2,070 company liquidations notified
- 82.9% of accepted documents were filed electronically
- 99.2% of accounts up to date in filing
You can find more information about these terms in the notes which accompany these statistics.
Other reports published
Late filing penalty statistical report
You can see our latest statistical report on late filing penalties or view previous years on The National Archive.
Public targets performance report
You can see our latest report on public target performance or view previous years on The National Archive.
Contact us about statistics
We welcome any comments on our statistics releases at firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for the Incorporated companies in the UK statistics release
All statistics on this page for ‘Incorporated companies in the UK’ relate to Private Limited, Public Limited and Private Unlimited companies, with the exception of ‘Accepted documents’, which includes all company and corporate types.
This refers to all companies that are registered at Companies House. Incorporations are one source of statistics on business creation.
Incorporated companies can go on to trade actively, but some will be dormant companies that do not trade actively.
Companies House incorporations do not capture business start-ups of other business types such as those starting up as an unincorporated sole proprietorship or partnership.
This refers to all companies that have been removed from the Companies House register.
Active or effective register
All companies which are contained on the total register that are not in the process of dissolution or liquidation.
This refers to all accepted transactions that have passed our examination checks and have been logged on the Companies House database.
Accounts up to date in filing
This refers to all companies that are up to date in filing their latest financial accounts.
Coherence with other business statistics
More information on the coherence of Companies House Statistics with select business statistics can be found in Incorporated Companies in the United Kingdom statistics.
This refers to all companies that are registered at Companies House. It includes all companies required to file documents to Companies House.
It excludes dissolved companies, but includes:
- companies in the process of receivership
- dormant companies
- actively trading companies
Company types included in total register size
The company types included are:
- public limited
- private limited
- private limited by guarantee/no share capital
- private limited by guarantee/no share capital (exempt)
- private limited (section 30)
- private unlimited
- private unlimited/no share capital companies
Other corporate types excluded from total register size
The company types excluded are:
- old public companies
- limited liability partnerships
- limited partnerships
- European economic interest groupings
- Newspaper Libel and Registration Act 1881
- principal establishment in GB
- European public limited liability companies (Societas Europaea)
- industrial & provident societies
- incorporated by Royal Charter
- investment companies with variable capital
- investment companies with variable capital (Securities)
- investment companies with variable capital (Warrant)
- investment companies with variable capital (Umbrella)
- unregistered companies
- not used
- other types of companies