This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Advice for fans travelling to Munich for Arsenal's Champions League Round of 16, 2nd leg match with Bayern Munich on 13 March.
Date: 13 March 2013
Venue: The Allianz Arena, Munich
Kick off time: 20:45 (local time)
As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Germany
Passports and visas
- As a British citizen you don’t need a visa to travel to Germany, but your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay
- Remember your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but also take out travel insurance, even if you’re only going for one night - it could save you a lot of money in you get into difficulties
- It is necessary to carry ID with you at all times. German police have the right to ask to see identification.
- If your passport has been lost or stolen, the British Consulate-General in Munich can issue replacement emergency travel documents during their normal office hours.
Getting to the stadium
- From the airport you take the S-Bahn, either the S1 or the S8 and get off at Marienplatz. Here you change to the U6 underground line towards Garching-Forschungszentrum and get off at Fröttmaning, from where it is a few minutes’ walk to the stadium. Public transport is not free with the match ticket. You need to purchase a ticket from one of the ticket machines at the station.
- Any travel is organised by the club.
- Munich visitor information websites: MVG and MVV.
At the match
- Access to the stadium environment is via any turnstile block for both home and away fans home leading to a communal external podium area. Fans arriving on buses will be parked to the north so will enter via the north turnstiles close to the away section. Fans arriving via trains etc will arrive at the stadium to the south and are likely to enter the stadium environment via the south turnstiles
- Tickets are checked prior to entry at the turnstiles and again on entry to the seated area
- Club stewards search fans outside the turnstiles. All away fans will be ‘patted down’ and all bags are searched. Small bags are permitted inside the stadium, large bags are not and there are no storage facilities available.
- No bottles and cans are allowed to be brought into the ground.
- Flags and banners maximum size 1mtr square. Maximum thickness of flag pole 3cms.
- As in any other city beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway stations, around the town centre and when using public transport. Only carry what you need, leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits
5, 81675 Munich
Tel. +49 89 211090