There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK, nor UK nationals living in the EU, while the UK remains in the EU.

During the morning of Friday 20 April 2018, a World War 2 bomb will be defused in the Mitte district of central Berlin. From 9am, all buildings within a 800m radius of a building site on Heidestrasse will be evacuated, including Berlin’s central train station, the A&O Hostel on Lehrterstrasse, the Economy Ministry, the Bundeswehr hospital and part of Charité hospital. All streets in this area will be closed off. Travel disruption is expected around the area and at the central train station. If you’re near the area on the day, you should follow the advice of the local authorities. A detailed map of the evacuation zone has been published on the Berlin fire service website. For more information on trains and public transport, contact Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) and the BVG (Berlin Public Transport Network).

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Germany. The German government has announced that increased security has been put in place as a precaution at public buildings, major events, transport hubs and large public gatherings. You should be vigilant and follow the advice of local authorities. See Terrorism

There’s no requirement to carry your passport with you, but the police are currently carrying out more frequent ID checks. If you’re asked to show your passport and you don’t have it with you, the police may escort you to wherever your passport is being kept so that you can show it to them.

Border controls have been reintroduced at some crossing points between Germany and Austria, Denmark and Sweden. Carry your passport with you and be aware of potential delays.

Around 2 million British nationals visit Germany every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.

British nationals have been arrested for possessing counterfeit currency. Avoid changing money anywhere other than banks or legitimate currency exchange offices.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.