6. Rent arrears

If you get behind with your rent, your landlord may evict you and you could lose your home.

Shelter has advice and information if you’re in rent arrears or having difficulty paying rent. It recommends talking to your landlord and trying to come to an agreement with them.

Always read any letters from your landlord – they may contain information about action your landlord’s going to take.

Going to court over rent arrears

If you can’t reach an agreement with your landlord, they can ask a court to evict you.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.