You might be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice (CLA) as part of legal aid.
You can get help from CLA for problems including:
- debt, if your home is at risk
- housing, eg if you’re homeless or at risk of being evicted
- domestic abuse
- family issues, eg family mediation or if your child’s being taken into care
- special education needs
You’ll find out CLA’s contact details if you’re eligible for legal aid. You can also choose for an adviser to call you back.
The adviser will ask for proof of your finances. You must have the following with you when you speak to them:
- recent payslips (if you’re working)
- bank statements
- details of any savings and investments you have
- details of any benefits you get
- mortgage statements and a current valuation for any property you own
You can use CLA’s free translation service if English isn’t your first language.
You can also book a British Sign Language interpreter if you’re deaf or hard of hearing.
Complain about CLA
You can also contact CLA if you’re unhappy about the service you’ve received from them.
Civil Legal Advice (CLA)
Telephone: 0345 345 4 345
Minicom: 0345 609 6677
Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 12:30pm
Find out about call charges
You can also text ‘legalaid’ and your name to 80010 to ask CLA to call you back. This costs the same as a normal text message.