Applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Updated 14 April 2022

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.


You can apply for a DHP if you currently get either:

What a DHP can cover

DHP funding is available in England and Wales. Find out how to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment in Scotland.

DHP funding in England and Wales can help people with housing costs, including those affected by:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates

You may get a DHP to cover housing costs for:

  • a rent shortfall
  • rent deposits
  • rent in advance if you need to move home

What a DHP cannot cover

DHPs cannot cover council tax, even if you get Local Council Tax Support.

Apply through your local council

Each council decides how their application process will work.

Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. They will decide:

  • whether to give you a DHP
  • how much you will be paid
  • how long you will receive the payment

Contact your local council to apply

Other help with housing costs

Find out what other help you can get towards housing costs if you get: