You can apply to the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber - Residential Property) if you’re a landlord, tenant, freeholder, leaseholder, park home occupier or site owner. The cases you can apply for include:

The tribunal is independent of government and will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.

There are different ways to apply in Wales, apply in Scotland and apply in Northern Ireland.

Resolve a dispute through an ombudsman

For some types of property dispute, you may be able to solve your problem using an ombudsman instead of going to the tribunal.

You cannot use an ombudsman if you’ve already applied to the tribunal.

Before using an ombudsman, you should complain directly to the organisation your dispute is with (for example, your landlord, letting agent or local authority).

Ombudsmen are free to use. Their decision may be legally binding for the organisation your dispute is against. If you’re unhappy with their decision, you may be able to use another dispute resolution process or take your case to the tribunal instead.

The ombudsmen that deal with residential property disputes include the:

Help you can get

You may want to get help and advice before you apply - contact Leasehold Advisory Service or Citizens Advice.

You can also get legal advice, including from a lawyer.