4. Extending, changing or ending a lease

Extending the lease

You can ask the landlord to extend your lease at any time.

You might also qualify for the right to extend the lease on a flat for 90 years and on a house for 50 years. There are different rules depending on whether your home is a flat or a house.

The Leasehold Advisory Service’s lease extension calculator gives you a guide to the costs of extending the lease of a flat.

Changing the lease

You can negotiate certain changes to the lease, known as ‘varying the lease’.

If you can’t come to an agreement with the landlord, and live in a flat, you can ask the Residential Property Tribunal to vary the lease.

If you live in a leasehold house, the tribunal can only vary what the lease says about building insurance.

Ending the lease

It’s very rare that a landlord can end the lease and evict you. However, there are certain circumstances and leases that let them do this, sometimes known as ‘forfeiture proceedings’. They need to send you a formal written notice and get the court’s permission.

Usually, you can end a lease by giving at least 1 month’s notice.

The Leasehold Advisory Service has information about ending a lease in ‘When a lease runs out’.

When the lease runs out

In law, a lease is a tenancy and the leaseholder is a tenant.

You don’t have to leave the property when the lease has expired. Unless you or the landlord takes specific steps to end the tenancy, it will simply continue on exactly the same terms.

Download ‘When a lease runs out’, above, for more information.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.