8. Houses in Multiple Occupation

Your home is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if:

  • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

A household consists of either a single person or members of the same family who live together. It includes people who are married or living together and people in same-sex relationships.

If you live in an HMO, your landlord must meet certain standards and obligations. Find out more about HMOs from Shelter.

Some HMOs must be licensed. Read the guide from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) to find out whether your landlord needs a licence for your house, and what this means for you.

How to complain

Contact your local council to report hazards in your HMO. The council is responsible for enforcing HMO standards and can make a landlord take action to correct any problems.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.