Report a change of circumstances

You must tell Jobcentre Plus if your circumstances change, for example you start working or your income changes. This might affect how much you get.

Volunteering will not normally affect your JSA but you should report it before you start.

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a change straight away.

A change of circumstance can include:

  • starting or stopping work, education, training or an apprenticeship
  • changes to your or your partner’s income or working hours
  • moving house
  • changing your name
  • people moving into or out of the place you live (for example your partner or a child)
  • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
  • changes to your pension, savings, investments or property
  • changes to other money you get (for example student loans or grants, sick pay or money you get from a charity)
  • changing your doctor
  • any changes to your medical condition or disability
  • going into hospital or a care home or sheltered accommodation
  • going abroad for any length of time
  • changes to your immigration status, if you’re not a British citizen

You must tell Jobcentre Plus if you cannot work but you’re still getting paid by your employer (‘on furlough’) or you’ve been given a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

Call the JSA helpline if you’re not sure whether you need to report a change.

You may be prosecuted or have to pay a £50 penalty if you give wrong or incomplete information, or do not report changes straight away.

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by:

  • calling the JSA helpline
  • writing to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays your JSA - the address is on the letters you get about your JSA

JSA and new style JSA helpline

Telephone: 0800 169 0310
Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 169 0310
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use the service
Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

If you’re claiming Universal Credit as well as new style JSA, you must report changes to both services.

If you’ve been paid too much

If you do not report a change straight away or give wrong or incomplete information, you might be paid too much. If you are, you might have to pay some of the money back.