Living in Liechtenstein

Information for British citizens moving to or living in Liechtenstein, including guidance on residency, healthcare and driving.

This guide sets out essential information for British citizens moving to or living in Liechtenstein. Read about how our British Embassy in Berne (Switzerland) can help.

This information is provided as a guide only. You should get definitive information from the Liechtenstein authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is not liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Read general guidance on moving or retiring abroad.

To stay up to date:

If you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021

Some parts of this guide only apply if you have been living in Liechtenstein since before 1 January 2021. You should read these in addition to the rest of the guidance in each section.

You should also read our Living in Europe page for information about citizens’ rights under the UK–EEA EFTA (European Economic Area European Free Trade Association) Separation Agreement.


Follow the advice of the Liechtenstein Government and your local authority. You should also read the Liechtenstein travel advice.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Liechtenstein read coronavirus travel advice.

Visas and residency

You must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check the entry requirements for Liechtenstein.

Read the Liechtenstein government guidance on:

If you move to Liechtenstein, you must register at your local office of resident services. If you intend to stay for more than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit with your local authority.

Visas and residency if you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021

If you have lived in Liechtenstein since before 1 January 2021, you and your family members have rights under the UK–EEA EFTA Separation Agreement.

If you were legally resident in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, your residence permit remains valid. You will need to renew your residence permit when your current one expires. Residence permits are usually valid for 5 or 10 years.

Your close family members continue to be able to join you and settle in Liechtenstein within 3 years of you becoming resident there for work. Read more information on who this applies to in the Living in Europe guidance. They must travel to Liechtenstein and then apply as your family member. Nationals of certain non-EU countries may need a visa before travel. The Liechtenstein authorities should issue family reunion visas free of charge.

Passports and travel

Coronavirus travel restrictions may affect travel to and from Liechtenstein.

You can apply for or renew your British passport from Liechtenstein.

Check the Liechtenstein travel advice for passport validity requirements.

Always carry your passport when travelling within the Schengen area. If you have citizenship of an EU or EFTA country, in addition to your British citizenship, you should enter and leave Liechtenstein using your EU or EFTA passport.

If you stay in Liechtenstein with a Liechtenstein residence permit or long stay visa, this time does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit for the Schengen area.

If you visit other Schengen area countries outside Liechtenstein, make sure you do not exceed the visa-free 90 days in any 180-day period. You are responsible for counting how long you stay under the Schengen visa waiver, and you must comply with its conditions.

Different rules apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

If you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021

When you travel, carry your residence document (Aufenthaltsausweis) or frontier worker permit issued under the UK–EEA EFTA Separation Agreement, in addition to your valid passport.

You must proactively show your residence document, or other evidence of residence status, if you are asked to show your passport at border control. Other evidence may be your tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name. If you have applied for, but not yet received, your residence document, show your certificate of registration.

If you cannot prove that you are resident in Liechtenstein, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in the country or countries where you live or work. If a passport is stamped, the stamp is considered null and void when you can show evidence of lawful residence.

If you have rights under the UK–EEA EFTA Separation Agreement, you can enter and exit Liechtenstein with a valid passport. You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling.


Read our guidance on healthcare in Liechtenstein and make sure you are correctly registered for your circumstances.

Travel insurance is not intended to cover healthcare costs if you live overseas.

Read our guidance on:

Working in Liechtenstein

If you are planning to move to Liechtenstein and work, you may need a visa. Read the Liechtenstein government’s guidance on working in Liechtenstein as a foreign national and how to get a visa (in German).

To apply for a job you may need to provide a UK police certificate.

Read guidance on working or providing services in Liechtenstein.

If you plan to work in Liechtenstein, even if you work for a UK based employer, this may affect where you pay National Insurance-type contributions. Read the National insurance and social security contributions section for more information.

If you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021

You have the right to work under the UK–EEA EFTA Separation Agreement if you have a Aufenthaltsausweis residence document, or have applied for one.

If you live in Liechtenstein and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, read our guidance for frontier workers.

Professional qualifications

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Liechtenstein.

Read guidance on:

If you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021

If the relevant regulator in Liechtenstein officially recognised your professional qualification before 1 January 2021, or you started the recognition process by this date, make sure you understand the terms of your decision. You should get advice from the relevant regulator.

Studying in Liechtenstein

If you plan to study in Liechtenstein, you must meet all visa requirements before you travel.

Contact the relevant higher education provider in Liechtenstein to check what fees you may have to pay.

Read guidance on healthcare for students in Liechtenstein.


The UK has a double taxation agreement with Liechtenstein so that you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief.

You should get professional advice on paying tax in Liechtenstein. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Liechtenstein.

Read guidance on:

National Insurance and social security contributions

National Insurance-type contributions (NIC) are called ‘social security contributions’ (SSC) in Liechtenstein. Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Liechtenstein.

If you plan to move to Liechtenstein and work, even if you continue working for a UK-based company, you and your employer may need to pay social security contributions in Liechtenstein. These social security contributions would entitle you to certain benefits, such as healthcare, in Liechtenstein.

Read guidance on National Insurance for workers from the UK working in the EEA or Switzerland

You can also check your UK National Insurance record.


UK benefits

Read guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Liechtenstein.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

Liechtenstein benefits

You may be eligible to claim some Liechtenstein social security benefits. Read guidance on Liechtenstein social security benefits.


Read guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Liechtenstein.

Read State Pension guidance if you have lived in Australia, Canada or New Zealand and you are claiming or waiting to claim your UK State Pension.

If you retire in Liechtenstein you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service’s MoneyHelper guidance on pension and retirement for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you must respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you do not.

Money and banking

Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA depends on local laws and regulation.

Read the Money and Pension Service’s MoneyHelper guidance on banking, insurance and financial services for more information on cross-border banking.

Accommodation and buying property

Read the guidance on buying a property abroad.

Driving in Liechtenstein

You cannot renew or replace your UK, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man licence if you live in Liechtenstein. Read the guidance on what you must do to drive legally in Liechtenstein:

Exchanging your UK licence

If you are resident in Liechtenstein, you must exchange your UK licence for a Liechtenstein one at the road traffic office in Vaduz (in German) within 12 months of moving. You do not need to take a driving test. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead of exchanging your licence.

Exchanging your Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, or Isle of Man licence

If you have a licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man you may need to take a test to exchange your licence.

Disabled drivers

If you have a UK Blue Badge and live in Liechtenstein, you must return it to the original UK issuing authority. You can apply for a new Liechtenstein disabled parking card at the road traffic office in Vaduz (in German).

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Liechtenstein

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Driving outside Liechtenstein with a Liechtenstein licence

You can use your Liechtenstein licence when visiting the UK. Keep up-to-date with the UK Highway Code.

If you go to live in the UK, you can exchange your Liechtenstein licence for a UK one without taking a test.

To drive in another country, in addition to your Liechtenstein licence, you may need to apply for an International Driving Permit at the road traffic office in Vaduz.


Only Liechtenstein nationals can vote in elections in Liechtenstein.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths, marriage and civil partnerships

If your child is born in Liechtenstein, you can register the birth with the UK authorities in addition to registering locally. If your child has British nationality, you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a British passport.

If someone dies in Liechtenstein read our guidance on:

Find out how you can get married or get a civil partnership abroad.

You may also need:


EU regulations apply in principle for travelling to Liechtenstein with your pets, but you must also read the Liechtenstein guidance and comply with the national regulations. Find out more about:

To visit other countries with your pet, check the rules for the country you’re travelling to. Contact your vet to get the travel documents your pet needs.

Read guidance on:


Dial the European emergency number 112 in Liechtenstein for the police, ambulance or fire brigade, or dial:

  • 117 for police
  • 118 for fire brigade
  • 140 for alpine rescue
  • 116 000 for missing children

If your child is at risk of being, or has been, abducted, read the guidance on international parental child abduction.

If you’re the victim of a crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis, contact the British Embassy Berne.

Returning to the UK

Check the COVID-19 travel guidance for entering the UK.

Tell the Liechtenstein and UK authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

If you get healthcare in Liechtenstein through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, bringing family members, tax and access to services.

Useful information

Support for British nationals abroad: a guide sets out how to stay safe abroad, and explains how the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) can support you if you get into difficulty.

Published 13 April 2018
Last updated 11 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Important information in the Working in Liechtenstein, and National insurance sections if you work in Liechtenstein, even it if it is for an employer based in the UK.

  2. Guide reviewed and updated with new information, including in the section on driving.

  3. Guidance reviewed for Money, tax and banking, Benefits, Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships, and Useful information sections.

  4. Guidance reviewed for Passports and travel, Healthcare, Working in Liechtenstein, Emergencies and Returning to the UK sections.

  5. Professional qualifications section updated for British citizens who are moving or moved to Liechtenstein after 1 January 2021 and those living there since before 1 January 2021.

  6. Working in Liechtenstein section updated: new guidance for frontier workers

  7. Healthcare section updated including guidance on the S1 form and applying for EHIC and GHIC cards; working in Liechtenstein section updated with link to Department for International Trade (DIT) guidance on working or providing services and link to DIT guidance on recognition of professional qualifications.

  8. Coronavirus section updated with a link to guidance on vaccines.

  9. Updated as the transition period ends with new information on pet travel and moving to Liechtenstein

  10. Passports and travel section updated on carrying proof of residence when travelling.

  11. Healthcare section updated on how to apply for a new UK EHIC as a student or S1 holder. Working section updated with information on frontier workers. Residency section updated.

  12. Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021

  13. Brexit update: includes further details on passport validity if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

  14. EU Exit update: Updated sections on passports, healthcare and visas and residency

  15. We have updated the contact details you need to apply for an S1 form.

  16. Updated information on passports: you must use the checker tool to see if your passport is still valid for your trip

  17. EU Exit update: new information on the EEA EFTA citizens’ rights agreement which will apply in the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal

  18. EU Exit update: updated information on access to healthcare

  19. EU exit update - updated information on pensions and driving

  20. EU exit update: link to EEA EFTA Separation Agreement added

  21. We have included a link to our roadshow in Liechtenstein.

  22. EU exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in pet section.

  23. First published.